Feeling helpless sitting around watching the Occupy Wall Street protests?
I’m seeing a lot of concern and/or sadness from people who do not have the privilege of dropping what they are doing and running out to their local occupation. You shouldn’t feel bad about this! It is perfectly understandable that people have jobs, class schedules, families, and other responsibilities hindering them from occupying their city of choice. Your frustration is also understood, because I know what it feels like to just really want to get out there and show your support, but have really no way of doing so.
SO, here are a few things you can do in solidarity with this movement!
1) Donate to the protests. They need supplies, food, blankets, bivvies, clothes, battery packs for the livestream (or “livestreams” as other cities are getting their streams in the works), money… anything you can spare. Get in touch with your local group or, if you prefer, go to http://occupwallst.org to get the address to donate to those in Zuccotti Park!
2) If you’re able, move your money to a credit union! Better rates, better service, lower fees, lower minimum balances, and most importantly anyone who has an account at a Credit Union is AN OWNER. There is no big corporate assholes charging you up the wah-zoo to use your money for their own profit. To find a credit union near you, go here: http://www.culookup.com/ and for more information on credit unions, here are a couple of articles: 1 | 2
Not everyone will be able to do these two either. Times are hard, and shipping a blanket isn’t cheap. DO NOT FRET, because The most important thing you can do is:
3) Spread the word. Many people are still in the dark about these protests. Post articles to your Facebook, Twitter feeds, Tumblr—- any social media outlet you can utilize!!! Educate yourself and those around you. If you know anyone who has lost their job, is drowning in student debt, or is just barely scraping by remind them that they are part of the 99%. This isn’t about conservative, liberal, right wing, or left. This movement is for the future of the people as a whole.
To keep up on what is happening on Wall Street: http://twitter.com/#!/search?q=%23OccupyWallStreet
To find an occupation near you: http://www.occupytogether.org/
Reblog and add on as you wish! I’m sure I’ve missed a bunch of good ideas or links.
New Haven starts tuesday but I have class. I’ll get down there one day though, I swear it.
- boppinrobin likes this
- dalekhuman reblogged this from veganmudblood
- hibernatingsunflower reblogged this from goldenheartedrose
- hibernatingsunflower likes this
- raptortooth reblogged this from phalange and added:
- sanityscraps reblogged this from veganmudblood
- sanityscraps likes this
- veganmudblood reblogged this from phalange
- veganmudblood likes this
- stranger-waves likes this
- abrasive likes this
- chattyjeliza reblogged this from wicked-grin
- powergirl likes this
- rraaaarrl likes this
- idiotcheese likes this
- amydentata likes this
- jellybonessss reblogged this from phalange
- jellybonessss likes this
- tommypenner likes this
- makingthenoise likes this
- ineffableshe likes this
- fr3ight-train reblogged this from stimulateyoursenses
- turneditoff reblogged this from phalange
- artislovely likes this
- pastthestorm likes this
- endquestionmark likes this
- livingdeadghoul reblogged this from phalange and added:
- thoroughlyunamused reblogged this from phalange
- thoroughlyunamused likes this
- rayrayslife reblogged this from iamnotrealindsey and added:
- fattyacidtrip likes this
- properly-distracted likes this
- apocalypsedave likes this
- scruffylittleboots reblogged this from phalange
- anediblewoman reblogged this from phalange
- therainbowcoffeelady likes this
- troublicious reblogged this from topherrocks
- troublicious likes this
- querida-guerrilla likes this
- topherrocks reblogged this from phalange
- phalange posted this